10 ways to clean your washing machine
Maintaining a clean washing machine is essential for keeping your clothes fresh, clean and free from bacteria. Here are 10 simple tips for keeping your washing machine clean:
1. Run an empty cycle with hot water. Once every month, set your washing machine to a hot water cycle and let it run an entire cycle without any clothes. This will help to remove any dirt and soap residue lurking in the drum.
2. Use an all-natural washing machine cleaner. There are a variety of natural washing machine cleaners on the market to help remove built-up grime and dirt from your machine. Follow the instructions on the package for best results.
3. Scrub the rubber seals. Dirt and lint can quickly accumulate on the rubber seals surrounding the door of your washing machine. Scrub the seals once a month with a cloth and soapy water to help keep them clean.
4. Banish bacteria with baking soda. Sprinkle baking soda into your washing machine drum before running a hot water cycle. The baking soda will help to remove any lingering bacteria in the machine.
5. Clean the soap drawer. Take the soap dispenser out of the machine and scrub it with soapy water to remove any bacteria or gunk. Be sure to dry the soap dispenser before reinstalling it in the machine.
6. Clear out the drain. Make sure to regularly clear out your washing machine drain to prevent clogs or slow-running cycles.
7. Wipe away dirt and grime. Once a month, you should wipe down your washing machine’s exterior with a damp cloth to remove dirt, dust and residue.
8. Refresh the washer. Every 6 months, fill the machine with hot water and drop in a quart of white vinegar. Let the machine run for a few minutes before releasing the water and cleaning the drum.
9. Check the hoses. Inspect all of the hoses attached to your washing machine monthly to make sure there are no leaks or signs of wear and tear.
10. Leave the door open. Leave the door of the machine open when not in use to allow the drum to dry out, avoiding the growth of mould or mildew.